Short notes on "MP4" players...

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 25 14:05:38 UTC 2007

Just a quick note, for Xmas I bought two (one for
myself and one as a gift) of those no name "MP4"
players (made up to look like an Apple iPod Nano) from
one of the shops near College & Spadina. In case
someone is going down that same road here is what I
know...

First off the players do NOT support MP4. They do play
.amv files, a format that I had not heard of before I
started looking into these players. There is a website
that has some notes about these players:

  http://wiki.s1mp3.org/Video_encoding

Bottom line, there is a alpha quality converter
program available for Linux that will create .amv
files... So far I have had success translating .avi
files to .amv. I have not yet been able to
successfully translate MP4 files from my MythTV box to
.amv (or MP4 to .avi then to .amv).

For transfering files the unit looks / acts like a
standard USB hard drive.

Standard .jpg files are no problem. For eBook .txt
files are ok, but at 16 characters per line ...
ugly...

Beyond that, I hope everyone is having a great
holiday.

Colin McGregor