All I want for x-mas is :: no more sound card is in use errors!

ted leslie tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 25 01:31:58 UTC 2007

On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 20:19:27 -0500
Jamon Camisso <jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> [...]
> > that some process will be using the sound card in a way that other
> > processes get blocked.
> > I know at times in the past I was able to have flash (in browser)
> > share with amarok, etc, but there is always some combination that
> > doesn't work.
> > In Gutsy, I have had no better luck.
> >
> > Does anyone  have a linux configured that
> > can have a flash plugin, music player, real player, and especially
> > vmware (and the virtual OS in the vmware using sound) all co-existing
> > happily? All technically playing at once, as bad as it might sound.
> > Or is this not possible?
> > The exact case in point is, the firefox flash plugin seems to grab
> > and keep the sound card, even when nothing is playing, i'd like to
> > listen to a podcast on amarok, listen to the odd wmv voice file in my
> > email (company does VM this way) and then get sound from another
> > linux (or rarely a windows image) in vmware -
> > doing all this, without having to selectively shutdown certain apps.
> > Keep in mind that N number of things might "have" the sound card,
> > but only one is actually producing audio at a time (or perhaps a
> > slight over lap, i.e. listening to podcast, and hearing a v-mail) the
> > rest might be in a 0-volume or pause state, etc. and I just don't
> > want to have to shut stuff off just so one thing can get its turn to
> > produce sound.
> >
> > I am hoping there is some sound/audio driver that can do this.
> >
> > Here's hoping someone delivers this x-mas wish to me!
> >
> > I don't recall getting this in MS windows, but it been so long I am
> > not sure, and as of 1-2 years ago, don't recall getting this on my
> > MacOSX either, but maybe I never tried to much multiplexing, and I
> > certainly never had the VMWARE part in the mix on these.
> >
> > Right now I am just using stock ubuntu gutsy's default sound drivers
> > (and setup). For sure I know that mplayer and vmware don't play nice
> > together, and flash plugin and vmware (and amarok) don't play nice
> > together, plus I am sure there are many  more combinations.
> >
> > I hear all this talk about this new sound driver (server?) in the new
> > Fedora, and its in Ubuntu Heron (beta), and I am wondering perhaps if
> > that address this issue?
> >
> > Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year to all!
>
> Pulseaudio is causing no small amount of trouble on any Fedora machine
> I've used so far. There is a regression in Fedora 8 where Intel ICH7
> chips (the snd-hda-intel kernel module) completely breaks and nothing
> puts out any sound. No fix as of yet.
>
> I tend to roll my own kernels, which isn't so bad once you have a good
> baseline .config for your particular hardware setup. I always ensure
> that the OSS portion of the sound section is entirely excluded, not
> built as a module or statically--nothing.
>
> I haven't run into problems like those you describe since making sure I
> don't compile OSS (it's deprecated anyways) and I have Vmware, Flash,
> Amarok, Kaffeine all going at the same time without any problems.

Do you use anything special for vmware audio driver? i.e. default is /dev/dsp.
So you could be playing flash, listening to a podcast with amarok, and playing a
movie in Kaffeine, and launch a vmware seesion, and vmware doesn't complain?
Oh man , i SO need that!

> Do you have enough ram on the system?
8 GB ram,

Have you tried installing one of
> the realtime kernel's from Ubuntu?
I could see needing this if I could at least get the sound, but it skipped, etc, but I simply
get the "sound card in use" errors. I have quad 2.6Ghz opteron so I should have enough power.

-tl

--
ted leslie <tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org>