MythTV presentation sources and resources.

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 18 18:06:22 UTC 2007

--- Anthony de Boer <adb-tlug-AbAJl/g/NLXk1uMJSBkQmQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Christopher Browne wrote:
> > Note: I have added all of these links to the
> GTALUG wiki:
> >   http://gtalug.org/wiki/MythTV
>
> Would help if the DNS for that domain wasn't
> presently laying in tatters.

The powers that be have now been informed about this.

> Meanwhile, availability of some of the bits in this
> area would be a
> helpful part of this.  Some items mentioned on the
> major MythTV pages
> might be discontinued or otherwise unavailable in
> Canada at present.  The
> docs suggest that the DVR-350 card is the thing one
> wants, and from your
> earlier note that you were able to obtain a used
> one, so it sounds like
> there's a bit of an issue with tracking those down.

I recently got a (used) Hauppauge PVR-350 card. Very
nice analog TV tuner card, but there are some concerns
to be aware of all noted here:

  http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/PVR-350

> If there's a
> replacement that works under Linux (especially the
> output to a TV; it
> seems like most video cards prefer proprietary
> drivers) the state of play
> there would be useful to figure out.

Off hand I am not aware of any MythTV supported cards
that do both TV tuning and video output all on the one
card. Options as I see it as of December 2007 are:

- Get a basic (under $50) nVidia based card for
output, and what ever tuner card(s) meet your
technical/budget demands (the route I have currently
taken).

- Wait n months for the recent ATI technical specs.
offering to deliver results and then use an open
source ATI driver (with your pick of TV tuner
card(s)).

- Locate a used PVR-350 card (eBay?). Then live with
the issues noted in the above website regarding the
PVR-350 output.

The current path of least resistance is get a basic
nVidia card and that is the path I would CURRENTLY
recommend.

Colin McGregor