.ogg to .mp3 converter

Brandon Sandrowicz bsandrow-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 18 17:20:54 UTC 2007

On 12/18/07, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 18, 2007 at 07:34:54AM -0500, Brandon Sandrowicz wrote:
> > I'm thinking he's looking for a GUI front-end that his wife can easily
> > operate on her own though.
>
> Graphics don't make things easy.
>
> Once upon a time secretaries all over the place had no problem operating
> wordperfect without graphics.
>
> I once heard someone state that the Macintosh didn't make things easier
> for new users, it simply made things harder for experts so that everyone
> was equally incapable of getting work done on computers.
>
> --
> Len Sorensen

Should we start using line-feed printers too?  Text-based photoshop?
VT100 OpenOffice.org with TrueType fonts?

Looking pretty doesn't necessary affect usability, but things like
having a listbox that someone can drag files into and then hit a
button that says "convert" is a lot easier than having to teach
someone regular expressions just to use something.

You don't argue that power steering is for wussies and everyone that
owns a car should be able to pull a MacGuyver whenever part of the
engine breaks (using toothpicks and chewing gum to replace the fan
belt or something).

While text-based might be perfectly workable I would hardly say it's
as intuitive to new users as many of the conventions of a graphical
interface.  But I don't want to get into an argument about graphical
vs text.  I've had many discussions about how "intuitive" things are
with people on Mac forums and it's like bashing your head against a
wall.  People have different ways of looking at things and you're not
going to make it completely intuitive to everyone until word
proccessing becomes something like Snow Crash, where you sit down at a
virtual desk in a virtual world to write your memo on a virtual peice
of paper.
--
Brandon Sandrowicz