gtkpod on ubuntu

Christopher Aitken chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Sat Dec 15 14:21:58 UTC 2007

Top-post update as this thread is old now: In ubuntu, gtkpod keeps
displaying the contents of the iPod, but the iPod keeps displaying "No
Music".

JoeHill wrote:
> chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org wrote:
>

>> Jamon Camisso writes:

Okay, that line is in there.

Done.

Done - and I saw the name of the repo I listed in the output.

Conversion is not an issue now as I installed lame and gstreamer and
they sem to give mp3 functionality to all my apps.

>>> I sent a message about installing vorbis-tools, which provides the
>>> oggdec binary, which if missing, will throw that "exit status 4" error.
>>>
>>> Try running "which oggdec" and if it does not find anything, install the
>>> vorbis-tools package.
>>>
>> Yeah, I installed that before I got the error. apt-get install vorbis-tools.
>> Funny you should mention that. I actually installed it to support an
>> application called audio-convert.That app is working for me. I noticed that
>> gtkpod does not have the iPod that is mine - it was called iPod nano 4 GB
>> video (or close to that) when we did the svn installs (et al) on the fedora
>> 7 machine (before the hard drive died). I probably have to do all that svn
>> stuff again - no?
>>

> No, if you installed the gtkpod and libgpod from the ppa repo, that should do
> it. The only thing missing from the libgpod you installed is the ability to get
> the firewire ID of the Nano. You will need to do it manually, but it's not that
> difficult. From the libgpod README.sysinfo:
>
> "The 2nd method requires more manual intervention. First, you need to get your
> firewire id manually. To do that, run "sudo lsusb -v | grep -i Serial" (without
> the "")
Okay, I got the firewire ID.
> with your iPod plugged in, this should print a 16 character long string
> like 00A1234567891231. For an iPod Touch, this number will be much longer than
> 16 characters, the firewire ID is constituted by the first 16 characters.
> Once you have that number, create/edit /mnt/ipod/iPod_Control/Device/SysInfo
> (if your iPod is mounted at /mnt/ipod). Add to that file the line below:
> FirewireGuid: 0xffffffffffffffff
> (replace ffffffffffffffff with the string you obtained at the previous step
> and don't forget the trailing 0x before the string)
> Save that file, and you should be all set.
Done - actually the correct ID was already in there.
>  Be careful when using apps which
> lets you manually specify which iPod model you own, they may overwrite that
> file when you do that.
That may be my problem now.
> So if after doing that libgpod still seems to write
> invalid content to the iPod, double-check the content of that SysInfo file to
> make sure the FirewireGuid line you added isn't gone. If that happens, readd it
> to the end of the file,
Yeah it's still there - it's persisting.
> and make sure libgpod rewrite the iPod content."

How do I do that - by re-installing libgpod? Or do you mean gtkpod?

Chris