Virtualization on Linux

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 13 19:49:33 UTC 2007

On December 13, 2007 02:28:08 pm lada-h8kxHjy+vg4AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org wrote:
> >Actually KVM is implemented in the new linux kernel. You will need a
> > CPU with virtualiztion enabled like Intel-VT or AMD-Pacifica.
> >
> >A nice comparison is available here:
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_virtual_machines
> >

> >Asaf
>
> I came across the table when doing my research. What I am looking for
> is real-life experience with installation, configuration, and
> software stability.
> I run VMware WindowsXP virtualization on WindowsXP at work. VMware
> seems to be very stable, but I would prefer a FOSS solution on my
> Linux box.

Qemu with kqemu for kernel acceleration is a very workable
virtualization tool. If I had to ballpark it, I'd say there is no more
than a 5% penalty without any virtualization extensions built into my
chip. Without kqemu, qemu it is nearly unusable though.

Also, qemu can convert and use vmware files, or physical partitions for
virtual machines as well. Worth checking out for desktop
virtualization.

For server stuff, well I'm biased towards Xen since that's what we use
at work.

Jamon