Updating Ubuntu 6.04 to 7.10

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 13 18:21:59 UTC 2007

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> Reinstalls are for broken distributions only.
May be, but for sheer time consumed in performing more than four
complete Ubuntu upgrades it may be faster to backup data, reinstall and
restore data.

> I have a machine that
> runs debian that was installed using debian 2.1 in 1999, and upgraded
> ever since.  It now runs 4.0 and is still running as well as any freshly
> installed machine.  I would expect ubuntu to do as well.

There is a problem with the Canadian localization files in Kubuntu 7.10
that causes menus to look wonky after an upgrade (see
http://launchpadlibrarian.net/10136391/kubuntubug.png).

The problem does not appear if you set your locale to USA or UK. A
recent update to the package
"language-pack-en" (version "1:7.10+20071120") fixes many (but not all)
of the problems; hopefully future updates will fix the rest. (It's
reported with Ubuntu on launchpad as bug #135084.)

You will likely not encounter this if upgrading GNOME-based Ubuntu
rather than Kubuntu.

- Evan