Updating Ubuntu 6.04 to 7.10

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 13 15:41:19 UTC 2007

On Thu, Dec 13, 2007 at 10:09:21AM -0500, Alex Maynard wrote:
> I'm thinking of doing this upgrade (ubuntu dapper to Edgy) too.  I
> haven't tried to upgrade ubuntu before and wanted to ask what
> is the best way to do this? By modifying the source list and using the
> apt-get distribution upgrade or by using an upgrade manager or simply
> reinstalling from a CD?

Change sources.list and upgrade using aptitude or synaptic (or possible
apt-get dist-upgrade, although aptitude dist-upgrade is better).

Reinstalls are for broken distributions only.  I have a machine that
runs debian that was installed using debian 2.1 in 1999, and upgraded
ever since.  It now runs 4.0 and is still running as well as any freshly
installed machine.  I would expect ubuntu to do as well.

--
Len Sorensen