D'oh!

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 11 23:02:39 UTC 2007

Chris Aitken wrote:
> Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Dec 11, 2007 at 02:05:50PM -0500, chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org wrote:
>>

>>> Wouldn't that mean I can't have a LAN address as well? We have on
>>> eprinter attached to one computer and the other three computers need
>>> to print to it.
>>
>> You should draw a diagram of what is connected to what.  See my other
>> email.  It is getting a bit confusing.
>>

> Sorry, though I'm reluctant to draw a diagram (in a text editor then
> cut & pasted into an email?). Everytime I try to make an email pretty
> (like, say, tabbing entries in fstab lines so it is readable), it gets
> tossed around by the mail apps until it looks worse. I can't imagine
> how a diagram would come out - though I've seen people post good
> diagrams. Do you guys cut & paste stuff made in vi or what? What about
> wrapping - does that have to be played with? And, no, I don't know
> what I'm talking about...
>
> I have four computers:
> cpc (connected by usb to a printer which is shared),
> ppc,
> dpc, and
> bpc.
>
> All four computers are attached to a router. The router is attached to
> the cable modem. The cable modem is attached to, well, the Internet.
> That's it. ppc, ppc, and bpc all print (vian cups) to cpc's printer.

So, all your computers are behind the firewall and not connected
directly to the internet.  So all you have to do, is assign a permanent
IP address to the one with the printer.  You can either assign a static
address on the computer, or configure the router to always assign the
same IP address to that computer.  If you configure a static address on
that computer, make sure the address is outside the DHCP range, but
within the subnet range.