backup & low downtime for home network

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 7 23:24:57 UTC 2007

| From: Robert Brockway <robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org>

| The thin client currently on my desk was USD279.  Dedicated thin clients
| can easily be had for half this price.  This one came from
| www.disklessworkstations.com (which I have no affiliation with except
| being a customer).

Thanks for the link.

None of those have good enough video for me.  The one with the nicest
form factor supports at most 1280x1024 (32 bit).  The one with the
best video seems to support up to 1600x1200 (16 bit).  Neither lists
resolutions suitable for "wide screen" monitors that seem to be taking
over the world.

My desk has a 1920x1200 LCD and a 2560x1600 LCD.  Most PCs out of the
box support 1920x1200 and most recent video cards support 2560x1600
("dual link" DVI).

For C$300, with careful shopping, you can get a current PC with things
that sound valuable and surely did add to the cost of production:
- DVD writer
- 320G hard drive
- 1G of RAM
- MS Windows Vista
- 2GHz processor
- lots of interfaces, including ethernet and VGA
It makes the more expensive diskless workstation look overpriced.

If there were a comparable market for diskless workstations surely
there would be better prices and better choices.