backup & low downtime for home network

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 6 21:28:56 UTC 2007

On Dec 6, 2007 3:19 AM, Robert Brockway <robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Dec 2007, Christopher Browne wrote:
> > The problem I have always had with the "thin client" approach is much
> > the same as my problem with automobile leasing.
>
> Hi Chris.  I'm not sure I see this as a good analogy :)

Well, it was, in the old days, and I've seen enough "purty expensive
thin clients" even pretty lately that it hasn't been a bad fit for
terribly long...

> But those days are gone.  These days a cheap/old PC will make a wonderful
> thin client.  True thin clients can be had for a low price.

> The thin client currently on my desk was USD279.  Dedicated thin clients
> can easily be had for half this price.  This one came from
> www.disklessworkstations.com (which I have no affiliation with except
> being a customer).

They're not *too* far away, in Michigan...  That's encouraging.

> > It just feels like an insult to buy something that's smaller *and less
> > featureful* and pay quite a bit more for it.
>
> Chris, you don't.  Not anymore.  Not for a long time.  You pay less for a
> thin client and get a lot of advantages in to the bargain.

I'd like to see them on College St ;-).  If they were actually getting
heavily sold (as would happen, if they were being sold by Toronto's
"grey market"), the prices would be lower still.

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and
expecting different results."  -- assortedly attributed to Albert
Einstein, Benjamin Franklin, Rita Mae Brown, and Rudyard Kipling