Backup Solutions

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 31 15:45:01 UTC 2007

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007, Alex Maynard wrote:

> A back up to a disk or another computer is easily verified by looking at the
> files, especially if no compression is used. Is it equally easy to verify
> that the files are there on the tape backup or do you need to do
> something like a test restore to double check?  This is something I was never
> sure about.

Testing file restoration from tape is not[1] any more difficult than
testing restoration from disk based backups.  This is Unix so (almost)
everything is a file :)

[1] You'll probably need to get used to the mt & mtx commands but that is
important anyway if you are using tapes.

I agree with Neil's comments on "fire drills" too.

Cheers,

Rob

--
"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine..."
 	-- RFC 1925 "The Twelve Networking Truths"