Backup Solutions

Neil Watson tlug-neil-8agRmHhQ+n2CxnSzwYWP7Q at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 31 14:22:19 UTC 2007

On Fri, Aug 31, 2007 at 10:22:50AM -0400, Alex Maynard wrote:
>A back up to a disk or another computer is easily verified by looking at
>the files, especially if no compression is used. Is it equally easy to
>verify that the files are there on the tape backup or do you need to do
>something like a test restore to double check?  This is something I was
>never sure about.

Good backup software verifies its writing as it goes.  You can gain
added confidence by performing fire drills.  By this I mean every few
weeks randomly choose a file or group of files and restore them from
your backup media.  This tests both your technology and your method.

--
Neil Watson             | Debian Linux
System Administrator    | Uptime 8 days