OT: Toshiba laptops - reliability and build quality

SlackRat slackrat4Q-MOdoAOVCFFcswetKESUqMA at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 31 05:14:43 UTC 2007

* asdf <fia_wrc_fanatic-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> a écrit profondement:

| (off-topic posting... regarding laptops)
|
| Anyone on this list have experience with Toshiba laptops (the Satellite A200 series
| in particular)? Care to comment on your experience with them esp. regarding
| reliability and overall build quality?

My experience with a Toshiba Laptop sold in Europe as model M40 bought
in France from the Carrefour chain has been traumatic to say the
least.

It has been back five times for warranty service and returned promptly
very close to the five of the "three to five weeks" upper limit
promised for return which in effect means that I only effectively had
the use of it for half of the warranty period.

The motherboard has been replaced twice.

The clock still loses up to 19 minutes per hour

The bios still beeps occasionally but stops after a couple of days

The CD/DVD writer degrades until after about six writes, it refuses to
write at all. - this was (supposedly) fixed on four occasions

The power on/off switch still works intermittently and on occasion
requires the battery to be either exhausted or removed to power
down. Luckily the battery is exhausted after about 30 minutes and
certainly not the 6.1 hours advertized!!!

Numerous other problems have in fact been fixed.

A nice letter to Toshiba Europe in Deutschland written in impeccable
German and sent both via electronic and snail mail has been ignored.

Now, a little out of warranty, they said that they would look at it
again. However the problem here is that Toshiba will not look at a
machine that does not have Windows installed and I deleted the Windows
partition as soon as the warranty year expired. The System Reinstall
disk, which in any case reformats the whole drive, refuses to work now
complaining that it was attempting to install _Windows 98_ but could not
find Command.com - the Reinstall disk reinstalls Windows XP normally

Additionally, when compiling a kernel, one needs to remember to
include the special Toshiba Laptop options.

--
SlackRat - No fsck-U to Reply