Can't install Gentoo linux on Dell Inspiron 530

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 29 17:35:32 UTC 2007

| From: E K <ekg_ab-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>

[Please don't use HTML in mail to this list (or to me).]

| I have installed Ubuntu 7.04 on Inpiron 530S. I was not able to get
| the network card working so I put in a DLink card that Ubuntu
| recognised. Well, I have to give up the video capabilities and settle
| for a VESA driver to get it working. That would be a problem if you
| are using a wide screen monitor and do graphic editing.

I don't know what an Inpiron (or Inspiron) 530S is.  But I bet you can
get these things working with enough research.

When you say "network card", are you meaning wired or wireless?
Wired is usually easy, wireless can be more of a challenge.

It is sad if you have to use VESA.  If you are willing to use
proprietary drivers, you should be able to use native drivers and get
reasonable results.

I think that the Inspiron 530s is an Intel-based desktop.  I would
guess that the built-in ethernet should work on any modern Linux.  The
video is probably an integrated Intel GMA 3100 device.  Intel seems to
be feeding driver support into X.org.  So if it isn't supported now,
it should be soon.

I'm not saying that it is easy to get all this working, only that it
is likely that it can be done.  Google for other folks' experience.