virtual machines

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 20 13:39:44 UTC 2007

On Fri, Aug 17, 2007 at 12:19:38PM -0400, Sy Ali wrote:
> This used to not be possible.  I did fair testing and learned that
> while the functionality was there and reported as there, there were
> notes hidden in documentation which say it's untested and unsupported.
>  At the time when i was testing it would quietly obliterate your
> files.
>
> So.. this functionality might still not be supported.
>
> I wanted to do things this way so that I wouldn't have to bother
> installing fancy vmware connectivity software within that installation
> in order to transfer files back and forth.

With caching and locking and such to worry about, how would a
filesystem deal with two OSs trying to read and write the same
filesystem at the same time?  Unless the filesystem was designed
specifically to allow simultanious access, then it won't work.

Not something VMware can do anything to solve.

--
Len Sorensen