virtual machines

matt-oC+CK0giAiYdmIl+iVs3AywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org matt-oC+CK0giAiYdmIl+iVs3AywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 17 17:31:24 UTC 2007

Ha ha, yes I suppose you can ask me questions, though I can't
guarantee I'll have the answers - I support a different product,
though I do have some training on Workstation and Server.
Incidentally, as far as I'm aware, Fedora isn't supported under VMWare
Server or Workstation - the rule of thumb is, if there's no corporate
support available for a distro, it probably won't get on the official
supported list.  I'd recommend cruising the VMware forums though -
some interesting results come out of there.

The free app is VMWare Server; it's not really lesser or
feature-limited, it's just a different type of app.  For example,
Workstation's snapshot system allows you to have a lot more branching,
but you can't run Workstation as a service (i.e. auto-boot VMs when
your host reboots).  Server, on the other hand, is exactly that - a
server.  So the feature set is more oriented towards people who want
to run a few servers from a single piece of hardware, but don't want
to go whole-hog and get the enterprise server (ESX).

As for the connectivity software, the only thing that I'm aware of
that gets installed in the guest O/S is drivers; you can install the
VMware Tools (regardless of whether you're using VMware Workstation or
Server), but it's really more of an optimization package than a
feature-adding type of thing.  Both apps will also allow you to choose
folders on your Host O/S to share to your Guest O/S.