Anyone used the Canon iP3300 or the Canon iP1800 printers?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 20 13:35:26 UTC 2007

On Mon, Aug 20, 2007 at 12:09:27AM -0400, Kevin Cozens wrote:
> Postscript printers would work but are way more costly than other laser
> printers that could be used. Not to mention they would be complete overkill
> for the few pages that need to be printed each day. The pages being printed
> are in black and white only at the moment.

You are telling me a $400 cdn colour laser with postscript is too
expensive to use?  And being black and white now doesn't mean you don't
decide there is a use for colour later.  And besides if you don't use
colour it doesn't cost anything extra to have a colour printer, you just
won't be using any colour ink. :)  I guess it depends how much the whole
system costs, what the purpose is, etc.

> If they print a few pages each day there shouldn't be too much in terms of
> maintenance to worry about.

An inkjet can have an annoying tendancy to need to be cleaned right when
you want to use it, and then you have to reprint your pages, hope the
cleaning went well, otherwise clean again, reprint, repeat.

An inkjet that prints a lot is not a problem.  It is an inkjet that
doesn't do much that causes problems.

> Yes, I've seen that situation with a few of the Canon inkjet printers.

Well binary blobs mean essentially unsupported printer under linux.

> The CPU board has 32Meg of SRAM with a bit more than half free with the
> application and Ghostscsript running. Initial tests show it is only taking
> about 10Meg of memory to print a page at 300 dpi which still leaves a few
> Meg of RAM to spare.

Still seems close.  And of course depends on the complexity of the
postscript being printed.

--
Len Sorensen