Anyone used the Canon iP3300 or the Canon iP1800 printers?

Kevin Cozens kevin-4dS5u2o1hCn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 20 04:09:27 UTC 2007

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> What kind of budget is available for it?  Obviously the simplest
> solution is to get an actual postscript printer instead (will also be
> way faster that way).  You can get nice colour laser printers from

Postscript printers would work but are way more costly than other laser
printers that could be used. Not to mention they would be complete overkill
for the few pages that need to be printed each day. The pages being printed
are in black and white only at the moment.

> Anything that should be reliable with little maintenance has to
> avoid inkjets.

If they print a few pages each day there shouldn't be too much in terms of
maintenance to worry about.

> As for drivers for inkjets, some unfortunately use binary blobs

Yes, I've seen that situation with a few of the Canon inkjet printers.

> Oh and ghostscript and buddies take a LOT of ram to render a single
> page.  I would actually be surprised if most arm based systems have
> enough ram and tmp space to run a postscript renderer.

The CPU board has 32Meg of SRAM with a bit more than half free with the
application and Ghostscsript running. Initial tests show it is only taking
about 10Meg of memory to print a page at 300 dpi which still leaves a few Meg
of RAM to spare.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.