Bandwidth monitor for a server with many virtual hosts

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 15 18:57:33 UTC 2007

On Wed, Aug 15, 2007 at 01:46:11PM -0400, Madison Kelly wrote:
>   Until now, I have not worried about how much bandwidth various
> customers whom we host use. Now that our number of clients grows though,
> I need to start tracking who uses how much bandwidth.
>
>   What do you guys here use to log bandwidth usage? Our clients use
> mail, web and can copy data to/from the server via scp/rsync. I suspect
> I could hack up something using TCP dump, but I really doubt I could
> come up with something elegant and efficient. :)

iptables can count packets/bytes for every rule.  So if you can setup a
rule for each virtual IP or whatever else you can define to identify
each user, then you can keep track of those numbers.  There are packages
that configure and monitor iptables to generate usage reports already,
although I can't seem to recall the name of the one I used in the past.

--
Len Sorensen