Bandwidth monitor for a server with many virtual hosts

Fernando Duran liberosec-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 15 18:44:48 UTC 2007

Hello,

If you clients have different ip addresses then you
can easily use any of the many bandwidth monitoring
tools like mrtg.org, ntop.org, cacti.net etc. There
are other more light-weighted programs without the
fancy graphs.

If you use virtual hosting in apache then you can
measure http traffic with an apache log parsing/stat
tool like awstat or webalizer, of course this won't
account for mail/scp traffic.

Fernando

--- Madison Kelly <linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>    Until now, I have not worried about how much
> bandwidth various
> customers whom we host use. Now that our number of
> clients grows though,
> I need to start tracking who uses how much
> bandwidth.
>
>    What do you guys here use to log bandwidth usage?
> Our clients use
> mail, web and can copy data to/from the server via
> scp/rsync. I suspect
> I could hack up something using TCP dump, but I
> really doubt I could
> come up with something elegant and efficient. :)
>
>    Thanks all!
>
> Madison
> --
> The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings:
> http://gtalug.org/
> TLUG requests: Linux topics, No HTML, wrap text
> below 80 columns

Fernando Duran
http://www.fduran.com