Power Spike question

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 13 16:16:42 UTC 2007

On Sun, Aug 12, 2007 at 07:53:41PM -0400, John McGregor wrote:
> Hi Folk,
>       I have a question about possible damage from a power spike. I was
> at a client's home today and his Win XP computer was erroring out with a
> missing DLL message, his printer was dead (as was the wall receptacle
> into which the printer was plugged). The computer was surge protected
> but the printer was not and the printer was connected to the computer
> via a usb cable. Could a power spike from the bad wall receptacle have
> taken out the printer and then also affected the computer via the usb
> connection?

Certainly sounds possible.

In the past I have seen windows corrupt itself due to the system being
unstable caused by a cheap crap power supply.  After a better power
supply was installed and windows was reinstalled from scratch, it was
actually quite reliable.  Of course a power surge could have knocked the
power supply funny which could then cause all sorts of problems too.

--
Len Sorensen