OT: Not-so-precise Swiss army unit mistakenly invades Liechtenstein

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 13 01:59:24 UTC 2007

On 8/12/07, Howard Gibson <hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Aug 2007 19:30:39 -0400
> "Scott Elcomb" <psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> >
> > If armed American soldiers ended up more than a Kilometer into Canada,
> > would the story be as funny?
> >
> > Yes this is way OT, but an interesting exercise nonetheless, IMO.
>
> Scott,
>
>    I believe there was an incident in which the Italian army invaded Sweden.  It was a NATO exercise.  The airliner was diverted for some reason, the Italians were not told, and they were left wandering around a Swedish airport in full camo until someone figured what was going on.

OK, I've seen the other responses to yours.  Rather than find myself
driving any further into controversy, I'll just drop this bit and see
what happens.

You refer to another incident where some sovereign nations' military
has gone astray.  I still don't think this is an "overly funny,"
topic.

Perhaps it's my upbringing - I watched far too many (20th century) war
movies when I was young - and there seems to be a lot more military
activity among the first world nations over the last 5 years than I'd
really care to think about.

Should we discuss this openly?  Should I post my thoughts to my blog?

Yes, it is an interesting exercise, but using historical references as
a guide it isn't inconceivable that I (personally) might find myself
in trouble for my analysis.  (On the surface, it's easy to respond
with a "We live in a free society and have the right to free speech,"
but lately, there seems a number of reasons why that may not be the
whole of the truth.  I'd agree that Canada's one of the better nations
in which to do so, but I'd rather not tempt fate.)

The event you mentioned is another example of a military misplaced; do
you have additional thoughts on the matter?

--
Scott Elcomb  [ http://www.psema4.com/ ]

"Our Founders' faith in the viability of representative democracy
rested on their trust in the wisdom of a well-informed citizenry,
their ingenious design for checks and balances, and their belief that
the rule of reason is the natural sovereign of a free people." - Al
Gore (The Assault on Reason, 2008)

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."  - Benjamin Franklin

'"A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting
on its shoes."  - Mark Twain