OT: Not-so-precise Swiss army unit mistakenly invades Liechtenstein

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 12 22:19:42 UTC 2007

On 8/12/07, Howard Gibson <hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Aug 2007 19:30:39 -0400
> "Scott Elcomb" <psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> >
> > If armed American soldiers ended up more than a Kilometer into Canada,
> > would the story be as funny?
> >
> > Yes this is way OT, but an interesting exercise nonetheless, IMO.
>
> Scott,
>
>    I believe there was an incident in which the Italian army invaded Sweden.  It was a NATO exercise.  The airliner was diverted for some reason, the Italians were not told, and they were left wandering around a Swedish airport in full camo until someone figured what was going on.

http://www.historyhouse.com/uts/pyrrhus/

No, the trouble was that they chartered a plane to go to Kristiansand,
Norway, where the NATO exercises were being held.

Unfortunately, due to some misreading somewhere, they wound up in
Kristianstad, Sweden.  It appears to have been blamed on the pilot.

By the way, Sweden is NOT a member of NATO, so it can be argued that
there was an "invasion" of sorts...

"...  memory leaks  are  quite acceptable  in  many applications  ..."
(Bjarne Stroustrup, The Design and Evolution of C++, page 220)