New Laptop and 802.11

Frank erebus-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 12 11:57:10 UTC 2007

D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> | From: Frank <erebus-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org>
>
> | Well, life is full of mixed emotions. My wife bought me an early Christmas
> | present. A nice new Acer Aspire 5100 laptop. Hence my happiness.
> |
> | The bad news is that installing Kubuntu 7.04 doesn't find the built-in wifi
> | and will require some fiddling on my part.
>
> I installed Feisty (Ubuntu 7.04) on an Acer Aspire 5570-2792.  Such
> descriptive names Acer comes up with.  I documented my experiences
> here:
>
>   https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam/AcerAspire5570-2792
>
> In this case, the Atheros driver (MadWifi) recognized the hardware and tried to
> use it, but to no effect.
>
> I had to suppress MadWifi and use ndiswrapper.  It too didn't work but
> I got the author to fix it on my machine!  Those fixes went into CVS
> and have since been released.  Probably not part of the Ubuntu
> repositories yet.
>
> I wish that MadWifi worked.  The HAL balked but the diagnostic was
> useless.  And the HAL is not opens source.  Grrr.
>
> The notebook lives in another country so I don't get to experiment
> with it often.

Excellent! Mine is a 5100-5023. What I've done in the meantime is make
the laptop dual-boot. It came with a Vista CD and I figured there may be
times when my wife wants to use it (she hasn't converted to Kubuntu yet
but the day is coming). So I have Vista and Kubuntu (64-bit AMD)
installed. And now I'm reading up on ndiswrapper so I can make the next
great leap forward.