New Laptop and 802.11

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 12 05:22:31 UTC 2007

| From: Frank <erebus-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org>

| Well, life is full of mixed emotions. My wife bought me an early Christmas
| present. A nice new Acer Aspire 5100 laptop. Hence my happiness.
|
| The bad news is that installing Kubuntu 7.04 doesn't find the built-in wifi
| and will require some fiddling on my part.

I installed Feisty (Ubuntu 7.04) on an Acer Aspire 5570-2792.  Such
descriptive names Acer comes up with.  I documented my experiences
here:

  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam/AcerAspire5570-2792

In this case, the Atheros driver (MadWifi) recognized the hardware and tried to
use it, but to no effect.

I had to suppress MadWifi and use ndiswrapper.  It too didn't work but
I got the author to fix it on my machine!  Those fixes went into CVS
and have since been released.  Probably not part of the Ubuntu
repositories yet.

I wish that MadWifi worked.  The HAL balked but the diagnostic was
useless.  And the HAL is not opens source.  Grrr.

The notebook lives in another country so I don't get to experiment
with it often.