OT: Next Time you sing happy birthday

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 10 17:04:12 UTC 2007

OK, so now my question would be: If a company - such as for example
Swiss Chalet - which has American offices, sings a US copyrighted song
that isn't such in Canada... could they still be sued?

One might want to remember the fate of the neteller execs when they
had a connecting flight through the US:

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/01/19/0035220

>From what I remember of this case, the gentlemen in question were
actually not even decision-makers, but rather shareholders, and I've
even heard that they'd left that role before the new US law went into
effect.

You might think "it won't happen to me", but I suppose that those
execs, or others such as Mr Arar though the same. Heck, if you're into
online gambling, or have Cuban Cigars in your luggage, I'd be careful
that your non-US flight doesn't have to have some form of diversion or
emergency landing in US soil... it's just scary.