Fwd: IT360 Volunteer Rules

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 24 19:37:07 UTC 2007

On Tue, Apr 24, 2007 at 01:22:12PM -0400, Colin McGregor wrote:
> We have had various ... odd ... clothing suggestions
> for the show. My father owned a kilt (guess which
> tartan (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tartan) :-) ). and he
> would from time to time wear it, with the sporran,
> (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sporran) sports jacket, tie,
> knee socks, leather shoes, etc.. All in its own odd
> way quite nice, and elegant.

It sure looks impresive when done right (My wife is a MacLeod, so I have
seen her family doing it right.  Fortunately they seem to avoid the
MacLeod "Loud" tartan (see http://www.clan-macleod-scotland.org.uk/tartans.php)
and go for the less loud choice.  She does own a kilt in the yellow
tartan that she used to use in the past, with matching tartan sox.)

> Problem is, we are geeks and MOST of us (Gordon
> Chillcott being the one exception I can think of) are
> not seen in a workplace (other than the male members
> of the group in an interview) with a jacket and tie.
> We are not "suits" and attempting that look, basically
> goes badly for us (yes we did try it at the first
> Linux World Canada show).

I thought sales people wore suits and ties, while everyone else would
just wear something more casual. :)

> Now a kilt without the sports jacket and tie (or
> sports jacket and ... "puffy" shirt) typically looks
> more barbarian than elegant... Here our goal is to
> make the suits understand that Linux is a SAFE choice
> and GTALug can help anyone interested in learning more
> about Linux.
>
> Like it or not, looks do count...
>
> So, basically the goal is to have folks looking like
> the sort of people you would find in a professional,
> but relaxed IT department (that middle ground between
> suits and ratty looking T-shirts...).

Seems like the right goal.

--
Len Sorensen