Fwd: IT360 Volunteer Rules

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 24 17:22:12 UTC 2007

--- Jamon Camisso <jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Colin McGregor wrote:
> > What follows is the rules for volunteers at the
> IT360
> > show.
> >
> > Keep in mind that on some points I am constrained
> by
> > the rules set out by the show organizers (yes I
> have
> > received some negative feedback when I offered the
> > following to ... a smaller mailing list). Still,
> if
> > there is a real problem with any one of the below
> > points , if it is something that the show
> organizers
> > will let us change I would be happy to listen and
> > adjust.
> >
> > Volunteer Rules:
> >
> > Our goal at this show is to offer a positive view
> of
> > Linux and the Linux community to corporate
> decision
> > makers. So, the follow rules are in place.
> >
> > Personal maintenance:
> >
> > - Here we are stealing the 6-2-1 rule from the
> World
> > Science Fiction Convention for volunteers, namely
> all
> > volunteers are expected to have at least:
> >
> >     - 6 hours of sleep per 24 hours
> >     - 2 solid meals per 24 hours
> >     - 1 bath or shower per 24 hours
> >
> > For the non-bald volunteers, it will be expected
> that
> > said hair will have been recently washed.
> >
> > Business:
> >
> > - Non-GTALug business must be kept away from the
> > booth, to places like a nearby coffee shop.
> >
> > Dress Code:
> >
> >  - Dress code will be business casual. This means:
> >     - For men shirts with a collar,
> >     - For men no ties.
> >     - For men long pants, no shorts or kilts.
> >     - For everyone:
> >       - All clothes recently washed (or dry
> cleaned).
> >       - All clothes in good condition (ie: no
> shirts
> >         or pants with holes).
> >       - Shoes, no sandals.
> >       - No T-shirts.
> >
> > Any volunteers who appear to be in clear violation
> of
> > the above will be instructed to leave.
>
> What's up with the kilts thing??
>
> Jamon

We have had various ... odd ... clothing suggestions
for the show. My father owned a kilt (guess which
tartan (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tartan) :-) ). and he
would from time to time wear it, with the sporran,
(en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sporran) sports jacket, tie,
knee socks, leather shoes, etc.. All in its own odd
way quite nice, and elegant.

Problem is, we are geeks and MOST of us (Gordon
Chillcott being the one exception I can think of) are
not seen in a workplace (other than the male members
of the group in an interview) with a jacket and tie.
We are not "suits" and attempting that look, basically
goes badly for us (yes we did try it at the first
Linux World Canada show).

Now a kilt without the sports jacket and tie (or
sports jacket and ... "puffy" shirt) typically looks
more barbarian than elegant... Here our goal is to
make the suits understand that Linux is a SAFE choice
and GTALug can help anyone interested in learning more
about Linux.

Like it or not, looks do count...

So, basically the goal is to have folks looking like
the sort of people you would find in a professional,
but relaxed IT department (that middle ground between
suits and ratty looking T-shirts...).

Colin McGregor