Microsoft for Linux people

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 24 16:20:28 UTC 2007

--- Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>
wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2007 at 10:39:10AM -0400, John Van
> Ostrand wrote:
> > Like will all OSes experience is everything. There
> are lots of books and
> > courses out there but the real test is going to be
> working with the
> > product for long enough that you get used to the
> subtleties.
> >
> > An MS user group may be an option to help add to
> that experience (via
> > others). One sprung up last year here in Waterloo.
> It seemed heavily
> > supported by Microsoft and I suspect that it is an
> MS attempt at
> > cultivating and astro-turf movement. You may find
> the same in the GTA.
> >
> > Nowadays you will also find that MS puts on a lot
> of free seminars. Get
> > plugged into their mailing lists go to the events
> and you could end up
> > with free copies of OS software as well as cursory
> training on features
> > and usable howtos.
> >
> > I go to bring a little balance to the group. I've
> had articles posted
> > and presented on Open Source topics. Some of these
> IT professionals had
> > no idea open source was out there.
> >
> > As an aside, I find it disturbing that we've seen
> two posts from people
> > moving to Microsoft.
>
> Well one was moving mac to windows, so that hardly
> counts as a big deal.
> :)

The idea of going to Microsoft by itself has very
little appeal to me (...make that zero). I would be
very happy to continue on with my life centred around
Linux/FreeBSD. On the other hand on the job front I
have had far too long, too dry a season, so knowledge
that will noticeably improve my employment prospects
is a real interest at this point in my life.

Further IF I am going to take a college or university
course over the summer, this is something I need to be
jumping on now...

Colin McGregor