Microsoft for Linux people

John Van Ostrand john-Da48MpWaEp0CzWx7n4ubxQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 24 14:39:10 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-04-24 at 11:29 -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> I try to know enough about windows to fix many of the usual problems,
> but little enough that no one will ever try to make me a windows admin
> again.  Don't want to do that again.

Like will all OSes experience is everything. There are lots of books and
courses out there but the real test is going to be working with the
product for long enough that you get used to the subtleties.

An MS user group may be an option to help add to that experience (via
others). One sprung up last year here in Waterloo. It seemed heavily
supported by Microsoft and I suspect that it is an MS attempt at
cultivating and astro-turf movement. You may find the same in the GTA.

Nowadays you will also find that MS puts on a lot of free seminars. Get
plugged into their mailing lists go to the events and you could end up
with free copies of OS software as well as cursory training on features
and usable howtos.

I go to bring a little balance to the group. I've had articles posted
and presented on Open Source topics. Some of these IT professionals had
no idea open source was out there.

As an aside, I find it disturbing that we've seen two posts from people
moving to Microsoft.