Linux -> Mac?

Dave Mason dmason-bqArmZWzea/GcjXNFnLQ/w at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 23 12:56:30 UTC 2007

Evan Leibovitch <evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> My quick summary is that:
> - Lintel is the best choice for people who love computers
> - Mac is the best choice for people who hate computers

I'd say it as:

- Linux is the best choice for people who want to mess with computers,
  including learning and gaining self-confidence, and for servers

- Mac OS-X is the best choice for people who want to use computers,
  whether that be the traditional designer, writers, or coders (a very
  large percentage of computer science researchers run Macs, now).

I am responsible in some way for 6 computers: 3 Linux servers, 1 Linux
laptop, 1 Mac laptop, and 1 iMac; the servers won't be changing, the
Macs are what I use as my interface and that won't be changing, and my
partner is fairly happy with her Linux laptop (although another iMac may
be in the cards).

I used to be in the first camp (for more than a dozen years), but got
very frustrated with drivers and multi-media stuff.  I got my Mac laptop
4 years ago, and have been very happy with it, and added the iMac a year
ago.  I will say, though that Linux has improved in its ability to 'just
work' in the last few years.

../Dave