Linux -> Mac?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 23 13:29:10 UTC 2007

On Sun, Apr 22, 2007 at 08:43:56PM -0400, William Park wrote:
> Just a question for those of you with Mac...
>
> - Why do you (supposedly Linux guys) have Mac?

I don't have one.  I wouldn't mind one of the powerpc mac's since they
make excellent powerpc linux systems.  Since the macs had such limited
numbers, getting linux to fully support everything was somewhat easier.
PowerPC is a nice architecture, and the macs well supported by linux.
What is not to like?

> - How does Mac help you in a way that Linux doesn't?

I think you mean Mac OS then.  That's different.  No interest in that
from me.

> - Do you use Mac for your Linux/Unix related tasks?
> - After using them both, have you given up on Mac?  Or, Linux?

I know people using the powerbooks.  At least one person started out
with mac os X, then installed debian, then went back to os X for a bit,
and remembered why he left and went back to linux on it.  Mac OS X was
just too limiting apparently.

> In other word, convince me to buy a Mac for myself, and not just as
> present. :-)

Well it depends if you want it for the nice hardware or the OS it comes
with.  I like the nice hardware, and don't really care one way or the
other about their OS.

--
Len Sorensen