"Canadian DMCA To Be Introduced This Spring"?

tleslie tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 18 18:09:56 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-04-18 at 10:10 -0400, Jason Spiro wrote:
> On 4/16/07, Meng Cheah <meng-D1t3LT1mScs at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > "The Hill Times <http://www.thehilltimes.ca/> reports this week (issue
> > still not online) that the Conservative government will introduce
> > copyright reform legislation this spring provided that there is no
> > election.  The paper points to two main changes from the Liberals Bill
> > C-60 - tougher anti-circumvention legislation (ie. DMCA-style laws that
> > ban devices that can be used to circumvent as well as provisions that
> > block all circumvention subject to the odd exception) and an educational
> > exception that will provide for free access to web-based materials.
> >
> > If this report is true, the bill will be remarkable in its ability
> > generate more opposition than any prior copyright bill in Canadian
> > history.  From a policy perspective, it is a disaster - dangerous and
> > unnecessary laws to support DRM and an educational exception that does
> > little to address the needs of the education community while encouraging
> > even greater use of DRM." ...
>
> So it sounds like this will be like the Bill C-60 that never got to
> second reading when the Paul Martin government fell[1], but worse.
> That's scary -- even Bill C-60 was a worrisome piece of legislation.
>
> Why do governments like to pass such unnecessary laws?

Why do a great many people feel obligated to steal stuff?

DRM isn't needed if people don't steal.

Government is at fault, they need to throw large volume pirates
into the pokey and throw away the key.
They applied muscle for dishes over the years, and they raid
large volume "mod chip" video machine places, but it is harder
to raid media/software piracy.
If we could throw people into the can for piracy, it would also
benifit Linux, as many people have pirate MS OS's and if they
have to buy legit , its Linux time!!

-tl