open source project need help with USB driver

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 13 15:46:17 UTC 2007

lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org (Lennart Sorensen) writes:

> On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 01:15:26PM -0400, bob wrote:
>> I facilitate an open source project which produces software to interface data
>> acquisition units in a physics lab in Brazil.
>>
>> http://users.netrover.com/~ican/drdaq
>>
>> The hardware that is used is a parallel port driven acquisition unit produced
>> by Pico Technologies:
>>
>> http://www.drdaq.com
>>
>> There is a Linux driver for this unit.
>>
>> With parallel ports becoming obsolete on newer computers there is a need to
>> retrofit this hardware to USB.     Pico Tech helps with the following
>> product:
>>
>> http://www.picotech.com/usb_parallel_port.html
>
> Is a parallel to USB adapter not simple to get and use?  Would the chip
> used in one of those simplify the development a lot?
>
>> ... but as is often the case there are no Linux drivers for this system.
>> Pico Tech produces great hardware but when it comes to Linux support ...
>> let's just say they suck.
>
> I thought USB parallel ports were standard and just worked.  Well I
> guess given all the companies screwing up usb-storage, no doubt they can
> screw up usb parallel as well.

It's my impression that USB parallel ports are not standard at all. Devices
using the Lucent USS720 chip appear to be well supported. I don't think any
other USB parallel devices are supported, at least not in the standard
kernel.

This impression is based solely on documentation in the kernel source and
past experience trying to get a Targus parallel port adapter working.
I have no direct experience with parrallel ports based on the USS720.

I suggest the original poster try a USB parallel port based on the USS720.

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                             starnix care inc.
647.722.5301                                      toronto, ontario, canada