open source project need help with USB driver

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 13 14:52:08 UTC 2007

On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 01:15:26PM -0400, bob wrote:
> I facilitate an open source project which produces software to interface data
> acquisition units in a physics lab in Brazil.
>
> http://users.netrover.com/~ican/drdaq
>
> The hardware that is used is a parallel port driven acquisition unit produced
> by Pico Technologies:
>
> http://www.drdaq.com
>
> There is a Linux driver for this unit.
>
> With parallel ports becoming obsolete on newer computers there is a need to
> retrofit this hardware to USB.     Pico Tech helps with the following
> product:
>
> http://www.picotech.com/usb_parallel_port.html

Is a parallel to USB adapter not simple to get and use?  Would the chip
used in one of those simplify the development a lot?

> ... but as is often the case there are no Linux drivers for this system.
> Pico Tech produces great hardware but when it comes to Linux support ...
> let's just say they suck.

I thought USB parallel ports were standard and just worked.  Well I
guess given all the companies screwing up usb-storage, no doubt they can
screw up usb parallel as well.

--
Len Sorensen