version control: darcs vs bazaar-ng vs cogito vs monotone

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 11 23:27:53 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 10 April 2007 22:26, Pavel Zaitsev wrote:

> Right now I need to find a version control system that will allow me to
> work with remote developers and be somewhat flexible. I have looked at
> these four VCSs and find it particularly hard to distinguish real down to
> earth reasons why not to use one of them. I do like the fact that git /
> cogito is maintained by Linus and friends, meaning long life and cunning
> view of particularly sharp developers continually evolving and fixing the
> code. And fact that it has to be fast, and it is.

I really wanted to like git (for the same reasons as you) but so far I haven't
been able to.  I've used cvs, svn and perforce in the past and never had
trouble understanding any of them (granted usage concepts map pretty much
1-to-1).  The few half-hearted attempts I made at understanding git just left
me feeling very stupid.

There were some git sessions at OLS last year and the answer to many questions
seemed to be not to use core-git for "that", it seemed to me that there were
a lot of add-ons in order to make git useable.  IIIRC there were no "revision
numbers" just a checksum for each commit (perhaps I didn't dig deep enough) -
on the other hand cryptographic authentication of history and full history
while disconnected is neat, and (it sounds like) core-git has improved (just
checked wikipedia entry).

I use subversion for my personal issues.  My repository is about 3 years old,
it's at about 10GB currently, no compaints.  Also, despite having no use for
it, I like the fact that svn can run on windows.

Apologies for bashing git and ignoring your question ;-)