version control: darcs vs bazaar-ng vs cogito vs monotone

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 12 14:13:50 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 10 April 2007, Pavel Zaitsev wrote:
> Hi,
> Right now I need to find a version control system that will allow
> me to work with remote developers and be somewhat flexible. I have
> looked at these four VCSs and find it particularly hard to
> distinguish real down to earth reasons why not to use one of them.
> I do like the fact that git / cogito is maintained by Linus and
> friends, meaning long life and cunning view of particularly sharp
> developers continually evolving and fixing the code. And fact that
> it has to be fast, and it is.
>
> Any opinions on those version control systems would be appreciated.

Hi Pavel,

I use Subversion mostly because I have not seen the need for
distributed version control. If you insist on distributed version
control, I can add two more to the mix, svk and Mercurial. I have not
used either one though I understand that svk is built on top of svn
libraries. I would be inclined to choose svk simply because there are
so many tools for Subversion, such as excellent integration with
Trac.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay