CityTV story about Dell and pre-installed linux, from linuxcaffe

Alex Beamish talexb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Apr 7 14:51:36 UTC 2007

On 4/6/07, David J Patrick <davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> The CityTV WebNation news crews just left after taping a story about
> how Dell is set to offer linux as optional OS. Expect clips of my own
> shaggy self blathering about linux, Dell and Microsoft. The story
> should be on CityTV tonight at 6pm, 11pm, tomorrow and all weekend on
> CP24.

I was contentedly reading the paper at the dining room table this morning
when my wife called me over to the TV where she had CP24 going -- my first
thought was, "Hey, that's David Patrick!", confirmed a moment later by an
outside show of linuxcaffe.ca.

Great PR for your business and also for Linux.

Amber (the host) is considering doing a regular report from
> linuxcaffe, so get your hair cut, practice your best Expert Geek look,
> in the mirror, and come on down.

I dunno -- I have so little hair now, most people I see on a daily basis
wouldn't notice  a hair cut. Maybe if I trimmed my goatee.

Linux has been taken up very quickly by geeks (OK, we're geeks -- deal) for
a number of reasons:

[] It's not Microsoft (and there are multiple reasons for this choice
alone),
[] It comes with the source code,
[] It's community based,
[] It's free, and
[] If you're keen, you can add a feature to a program you use and pass it
along

However, doing such a radical thing as leaving the Microsoft mother ship can
be quite a leap of faith -- support is reduced from 'Help is just a phone
call away' to reading the documentation (gasp!), mailing lists, web searches
and IRC.

Getting Linux to the desktop is a challenge, but every year we get a little
closer. My first encounter with SuSE 6.2 and YaST was brutal, and I didn't
try Linux again for a few years. Now, having worked with Linux for close to
ten years, I'm much moer comfortable with it -- and Linux has come a long
way.

There's also quite a crop of high school and university students who are
quite content to use Linux, as well as a plentiful supply of recycled white
boxes (old computers) that work just fine with Linux, while being
border-line for Windows XP and useless for Vista.

Microsoft is going to be around for a while, but Linux is going to continue
to grab market share. And that's a very cool thing.

--
Alex Beamish
Toronto, Ontario