CityTV story about Dell and pre-installed linux, from linuxcaffe

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Apr 7 02:55:31 UTC 2007

--- James Knott <james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Colin McGregor wrote:
> > Funny thing, I think the only pocket protector
> I've
> > ever had was one from Icom (a well known, well
> > respected amateur radio equipment builder (yes, I
> own
> > two of their radios and my amateur radio licence
> is
> > VE3ZAA)). Hummm ... how many groups are out there
> with
> > a "geek" image issue?
> >
> > - Linux, Unix, etc. computer users
> > - Amateur radio operators
> > - Model railroad fans?
> >
> > Who else?
> >
> I'm VE3ZU.  Been licensed for 35 years.

Cool, as you have a 5 character VE3 series licence I
would have automatically assumed you had held your
licence for a while (I've held my licence since 1990).

So, back to the question of people with a geekdom
image problem. Accountants have a image problem of
people tend to think that they are boring, but not
geeky (noted as one who has an uncle and a cousin who
are accountants ...).

This past week I watched on DVD "The World's Fastest
Indian" about a man who tweaked the @#$% out of an
Indian brand motorcycle. Again the serious gear heads
have image issues, but not one of geek...

So, how do we put some distance between us and the
geek label? Or is it even worth doing?

Colin McGregor