SDL on usb stick

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 4 23:41:21 UTC 2007

| From: Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>

| There isn't really a standard for booting from USB.  There are a few
| different ways to do it.

I think that there is (after googling a bit).  But it does not say
what the contents of the medium should look like:
  http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs/usb_msc_boot_1.0.pdf

I always assumed that you organized a flash memory like a hard disk
partition OR like a partition.  The first sector would be a Boot
Record and would contain a 512-byte boot block.  I'm more confused now
that I've looked it up.

Of course bootable CD's don't look like that.  They have a virtual
floppy image that the BIOS can boot from and make available to the
boot code etc. through INT 13.  As a virtual floppy, it is
allowed to be 2.88M, even though few real floppies were that size.
(Apparently it could also emulate a hard drive).
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Torito_(CD-ROM_standard)

Of course the PC world had to re-invent bootable CDs (1995).  Sun had
differently bootable CDs quite a bit earlier.