Yet Another reason to use linux...

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 4 14:28:05 UTC 2007

On Tue, Apr 03, 2007 at 10:21:49PM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
>   I've ranted on this list about that very thing before.  The problem is
> the apps.  The developer of App A is too lazy to write one or two
> functions direct to X API, so he uses a lib that has most of GNOME as a
> dependancy.  The developer of App B does something similar, except it's
> with KDE.  The developer of App C pulls in Java.  Etc, etc, next thing
> you know, you've got a gazillion libs on your hard drive.  Try running
> these 3 apps simultaneously, and you end up all those dlls loaded in
> memory simultaneously.
>
>   And another question... why is it that Java can be squeezed into a
> cell phone, but it clutters up my hard drive with 3/4 of a gig of
> garbage (*NOT* counting the source code)?

Because java for mobile and java for other systems are not the same.
The mobile java is stripped down a lot, since it is for a much more
specific purpose and target.  You can not just take a random java
program and try running it on a cell phone.  It won't work.  You have to
explicitly make a java program for a mobile device to have it work on
cell phones.  There is a reason java for mobile devices has a different
name.

--
Len Sorensen