Yet Another reason to use linux...

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 4 02:21:49 UTC 2007

On Tue, Apr 03, 2007 at 01:30:14AM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote

> Most mainline Linux distros seem to be roughly as piggy as WinXP.
> Luckilly Vista has come out, so the bar has moved (the wrong way).
>
> I wonder why there isn't a mainline distro that is reasonably
> functional and yet "parties like it's 1999".  If you know what you
> are doing, you can slim some distros down or pick slim off-beat ones,
> but the "know what you are doing" is the catch.

  I've ranted on this list about that very thing before.  The problem is
the apps.  The developer of App A is too lazy to write one or two
functions direct to X API, so he uses a lib that has most of GNOME as a
dependancy.  The developer of App B does something similar, except it's
with KDE.  The developer of App C pulls in Java.  Etc, etc, next thing
you know, you've got a gazillion libs on your hard drive.  Try running
these 3 apps simultaneously, and you end up all those dlls loaded in
memory simultaneously.

  And another question... why is it that Java can be squeezed into a
cell phone, but it clutters up my hard drive with 3/4 of a gig of
garbage (*NOT* counting the source code)?

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
Q. Mr. Ghandi, what do you think of Microsoft security?