free: exotic monitors (very high res monochrome)

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 3 21:28:13 UTC 2007

On Tue, Apr 03, 2007 at 05:14:37PM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> A month ago, I offered these monitors to TLUG (and then Craigslist and
> Freecycle).  Nobody was crazy enough to take them.
>
> So I've sweetened the deal!
>
> From a generous freecycler, I got an adapter (13w3 to VGA) that would
> allow you to connect one of these to a VGA controller card.  All you
> have to do is figure out the settings.  Most controllers could not
> drive these at full resolution, but that isn't required.

Hopefully the right kind since each company used a slightly different
pinout on the 13w3 connectors (SGI and Sun had seperate pinouts for
their use of those connectors).  Some Hitachi monitors used them too,
and I think they used Sun pinout, but I am not sure (I am sure they did
not use SGI pinout however.  I tried that)

> I used one monitor for a few minutes yesterday (on a Win95 box with
> the ImageAccel 2 video card).  It looked nice.

Much as I love old weird stuff, CRTs just take too much room, and
monochrome just wasn't ever that interesting. :)

Probably use too much power too.

--
Len Sorensen