What Is The Linux Version Of ...

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 2 15:17:54 UTC 2007

On Sun, Apr 01, 2007 at 11:16:34PM -0400, Ansar Mohammed wrote:
> Again, pardon my ignorance. But I am speaking of things like controlling
> browser proxy settings, forcing a background, forcing desktop themes etc..
>
> I should probably frame this..
>
> My daughter just started kindergarten in a private institution and they had
> a bunch of computers and I was thinking of hooking them up together in a
> network. So my buddy and I went in, wired the place and setup a file server
> etc..
>
> The thing is that these are pre-teen kids and I wanted to find a way to lock
> down the desktop so that they cant change wallpapers and themes etc.. the
> edu versions of windows 2003 svr is pretty cheap but I was wondering how
> would I do this with Linux... (client and server)

I think the global firefox config in /etc can be used to force certain
settings.  I imagine many other things can too.  Of course many config
files can simply be made not writeable by the user and locked that way.

Of course if the firewall only allows port 80 access via the proxy, you
don't need to keep it locked.  If they remove the proxy settings they
get no connection.  Good incentive to leave it alone.

--
Len Sorensen