VirtualBox and Qemu networking

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 2 14:56:44 UTC 2007

On Sat, Mar 31, 2007 at 02:31:59PM -0400, Kevin Cozens wrote:
> Thanks for the comments about vmware. Always surprises me how the web sites
> about vmware and similar programs/systems don't seem to provide the
> "basic"(?) type of info I was looking for. Or, if they do provide it, you
> have to really dig for it.

I think it is all there but takes some searching.

> I'm not sure if I could use vmware with the old version of Windows I"m
> using or with the old computer (PII with 384Meg installed) I'm currently
> using. The web site indicates that you can download a trial version so that
> might be the thing to do at some point.

Well any version of windows will run inside vmware.  It does a very good
job emulating x86 hardware.  Well any x86 version of windows I guess.
If you have a new enough 64bit cpu and run 64bit linux, you can run a
64bit guest as well (none of the 64bit machines I have tried on yet were
new enough, although I think my wife's new tablet PC she got friday
probably can, although being a T5500 it doesn't have the virtualization
instructions, so who knows.  If she ever needs it I imagine a
replacement CPU could be installed).

> I will take a closer look at the workstation vs. server version. I have a
> suspicion I would want the workstation version as I would want to use it on
> my machine machine which means a few $$ to pay out.

Well I use vmware server on my machine in exactly the same way I used to
use vmware workstation and I haven't found anything missing in it yet
that vmware workstation provided.  Only the other way around.

> The other option I keep running across is Win4Lin. Having just read a page
> comparing it to vmware, it sounds like vmware is more what I want. It might
> let the programs see enough of the underlying hardware that I might be able
> to run one of my high end CAD packages using it. As was pointed out in the
> article, there is quite a difference in price between the two products.

win4lin only worked with win95/98 I thought, although I must admit I
never really looked at it.

--
Len Sorensen