VirtualBox and Qemu networking

E K ekg_ab-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 2 20:33:54 UTC 2007

Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote: On Sat, Mar 31, 2007 at 02:31:59PM -0400, Kevin Cozens wrote:
> Thanks for the comments about vmware. Always surprises me how the web sites
> about vmware and similar programs/systems don't seem to provide the
> "basic"(?) type of info I was looking for. Or, if they do provide it, you
> have to really dig for it.

I think it is all there but takes some searching.

> I'm not sure if I could use vmware with the old version of Windows I"m
> using or with the old computer (PII with 384Meg installed) I'm currently
> using. The web site indicates that you can download a trial version so that
> might be the thing to do at some point.

Well any version of windows will run inside vmware.  It does a very good
job emulating x86 hardware.  Well any x86 version of windows I guess.
If you have a new enough 64bit cpu and run 64bit linux, you can run a
64bit guest as well (none of the 64bit machines I have tried on yet were
new enough, although I think my wife's new tablet PC she got friday
probably can, although being a T5500 it doesn't have the virtualization
instructions, so who knows.  If she ever needs it I imagine a
replacement CPU could be installed).

> I will take a closer look at the workstation vs. server version. I have a
> suspicion I would want the workstation version as I would want to use it on
> my machine machine which means a few $$ to pay out.

Well I use vmware server on my machine in exactly the same way I used to
use vmware workstation and I haven't found anything missing in it yet
that vmware workstation provided.  Only the other way around.

> The other option I keep running across is Win4Lin. Having just read a page
> comparing it to vmware, it sounds like vmware is more what I want. It might
> let the programs see enough of the underlying hardware that I might be able
> to run one of my high end CAD packages using it. As was pointed out in the
> article, there is quite a difference in price between the two products.

win4lin only worked with win95/98 I thought, although I must admit I
never really looked at it.

--
Len Sorensen
I discovered that VirtualBox network was working after all. What was not working was ping. I just launched IE from within Windows and there it goes, I can connect to the internet via the host connection. Both host adapter and NAT work fine. I couldn't get Qemu's networking up. The adapter that Qemu was supposed to emulate to the guest OS is not seen by the guest OS.

I liked VirtualBox better than VMWare. It is lightweight and installation is intuitive (and there is no need for license key, etc.). What is more, if you delete a virtual machine it cleans the files associated with the virtual machine as well so you don't have to hunt them. It also supports all versions of Windows including DOS, OS2, Linux, etc.

I like Qemu's single file - the disk image - virtual machines. I don't if it will get the more device support though.

Equbay