How to print to USB printer from embedded ARM board?

Mel Wilson mwilson-4YeSL8/OYKRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Sun Apr 1 14:12:21 UTC 2007

Kevin Cozens wrote:
> I have been approached about helping on a project that is running Linux
> on an Embedded ARM board (a TS-7250). [ ... ]
> Does anyone happen to have a general idea how much disk space an
> Lpr/CUPS with Ghostscript printing system would need? [ ... ]
> Are there pre-compiled packages of lpr (& c.), Ghostscript, etc. already
> out there for ARM? (It would save me cross-compiling).

The board manufacturer supplies root filesystem images for Debian
Linux.  I'm running a TS-7400 here with Debian 3.1 Sarge.  With this
you can do apt-get for any of the Debian supported packages that
weren't included in the image.
The apt-get install for CUPS was easy (22.7MB storage, btw), but then
I got hung up on USB printer support -- lack of drivers or some such
thing...
I, too, will chase this down.  I need to know this stuff.

	Cheers,		Mel.