Display problem

Jose jose-vS8X3Ji+8Wg6e3DpGhMbh2oLBQzVVOGK at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 29 19:14:29 UTC 2006

Jamon Camisso wrote:
> Jose wrote:
>
>> I tried it and didn't work, I did go on failsafe mode to check the conf
>> file and turned out to be the same, using the trident driver, I checked
>> the kernel parameters and the apci was set to off, I changed that on the
>> main kernel and now it's working fine. I still have to find out how this
>> switch may impact on the performance of the machine tough.
>>
>> But thanks for the idea
>>

> Missing the rest of this thread, but I remove modelines from my
> xorg.conf. I usually just specify depth & resolution, and let X figure
> it out.Have you tried using VESA instead of trident for your driver? --
> perhaps being overly explicit is stopping X from handling things
> automatically?
>
> Armchair speculation though, so YMMV.
>
> Jamon

Hi Jamon,

Yes, trying the Vesa driver was one of the few things I did first, and
it wouldn't work at all, no matter what resolution or depth or monitor
display I would choose, the only one that I got something out was the
old vga generic driver, but it was so bad that was only giving me 16
colors and a max resolution of 800x600, and I knew that machine was
capable of giving me more as before installing suse it had an old redhat
9 installed on it capable of displaying it's gui at 16million
color/1024x764.

Jose