Samba3 + WinXP problem

John Van Ostrand john-Da48MpWaEp0CzWx7n4ubxQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 28 09:14:07 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-09-27 at 18:07 -0400, Madison Kelly wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>    I've got a very frustrating problem at one of my job's client's
> networks that I administer. It seems that, come heck or high water,
> Windows XP (SP2) insists that a domain user who is added to the local
> machine's Administrator group will only get Guest privileges.

That's a unique problem, as you've probably found. We've been installing
and taking care of Samba/Windows solutions for 10 years and I don't
think we've hit that.

Have you applied the XP registry patches that come bundled with Samba?

This could also be a machine account problem. Try leaving the domain and
re-joining.

When you add users to the Administrators group, does the domain show up
properly? Does the verify user button work?